Gratiot County Historical Museum
The Gratiot County Area Historical Museum at 129 W Center St. in Ithaca was established in 1987. Located in a substantial red brick Victorian house built in 1881, the museum building is on the State Register of Historic Places. The main building is a large two story red brick house built in 1881 and a wooden barn which served as a carriage and horse stable during the last part of the 1800s and early 1900s. A fine collection of furniture reflecting styles of the 19th and 20th centuries has been donated by the public.
The museum house collections include artifacts largely from the 1850s through the 1950s. Furniture, ceramics, glass, china, kitchen ware, clothing, needlework, photographs and postcards which reflect the life of the early settlers are displayed as time and space permit. A collection of antique quilts were highlighted in 2013.
The small barn is filled with many small farm implements and tools. Also included is a closed buggy and an open farm wagon. The barn now sports a painted log cabin quilt block as part of the Gratiot Quilt Tour.
There is no admission fee to visit the museum but donations are very welcome as they are needed for the continued support of the museum.
The museum is open May through October on Wednesdays from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. Group tours and special arrangements can be made by calling Linda Weburg at 989.875.4747 or John Kemler at 989-463-5896.